1/1 Photo of Curried Red Kidney Beans and Cauliflower (Rajma Masala)
Red kidney beans are very nutritious. They are, however, harder to digest than other beans, which is why they're traditionally cooked with seasonings that help break them down, such as ginger. Use spices that are as fresh as possible--their health benefits, let alone their flavors, will be more potent that way. Garam masala is a mixture of warming spices; find it at Indian grocery stores or gourmet groceries. From Sunset. Cooking time does not include the time needed to cook your rice or cook dried beans, if using.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 cinnamon stick (2-in.)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 green cardamom pods, cracked open
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can plum tomatoes, whole peeled without juice
- 1 serrano chili, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- about 1 tsp. salt
- 6 cups red kidney beans, about four 14-oz . cans, rinsed and drained (may use dried beans that have been cooked)
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into 1/2- to 1-in . florets
- 1 -1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro stem, coarsely chopped, loosely packed
- 6 -8 cups brown rice, hot cooked
- 1Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed 4- to 5-qt. pot or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and fry, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes, or until slightly softened.
- 2Stir in cinnamon, bay leaf, garlic, ginger, fennel, cumin, and cardamom and fry, stirring, 2 minutes. Add cayenne, coriander, turmeric, and garam masala and fry, stirring, 1 minute.
- 3Shred tomatoes into pot with your fingers. Stir in serrano chile, salt, kidney beans, cauliflower, and 1 1/2 cups water. Lower heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender and liquid has thickened into a velvety-looking sauce (add more water if necessary).
- 4Season beans with salt if needed. Stir in lemon juice and cilantro.
- 5Serve hot over brown rice, with plain yogurt on the side if you like.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Red Kidney Beans and Cauliflower (Rajma Masala)
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1010.3
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 37.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 191.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.1 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 32.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green cardamom pods