Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
My husband was wanting Quinoa (I use Quinoa-Toasted a must) for dinner, so I just through this together.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cups quinoa, Quinoa-Toasted Quinoa-Toasted
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- In a large saucepan, cook onion and garlic over low heat, stirring, until softened.
- Add curry powder and toasted Quinoa , stirring for 1 minute.
- Add water and carrots, bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 12 minutes or until Quinoa has absorbed all the water.
- Stir in peas, apricots, almonds, raisins, or cranberries and serve.
Tons and tons of flavor! I used a hot African curry powder and simmered everything in chicken broth instead of water. I also subbed cranberries for the raisins and left out the almonds (otherwise DH wouldn't have touched it). Otherwise made as written. We thoroughly enjoyed this lovely quinoa!
Love all of the ingredients in this and it's very easy to make. I cooked the quinoa in veggie broth for a bit of extra flavour, which I think was a good thing. Otherwise I made as written except that I was out of carrots so used an orange bell pepper instead. 2 cups of dry quinoa is definitely a lot - this made the perfect amount for a potluck dish though! Thanks Debbwl...made for ZWT4.
As written this recipe as serve a lot more than 4. I reduced everything by half and still had more than 4 generous servings. This has a nice flavor and I loved the addition of the veggies and dried fruits. A good combination of flavor and color. Made for Vegetarian African Challenge during ZWT 7.