Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I originally got this from a quinoa website, but changed some of the ingredients a bit to customize and use for a school project.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- If you're using a bulk variety of quinoa that needs rinsing, rinse it in a fine-mesh strainer until the water runs clear. You may rub the grains between your palms to expediate the process if you like (or buy a brand that does not require rinsing.).
- Over medium heat, heat the oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the powdered spices and heat them, stirring, for a minute or two.
- Add the diced onion and garlic and cook until the onions become slightly translucent.
- Add the grated ginger, quinoa, and diced peppers and stir.
- Cook for another minute or two, until the quinoa grains begin to break slightly open into a spiral shape.
- Add the water to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover, simmering for 15 minutes.