This recipe was found in The Chicago Tribune. My DH loved it, I'm not a fan of pumpkin. I had some left over brats I sliced and threw in, also I used 1/4 blood orange juice since I forgot to buy oranges and used non fat milk
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 orange, juice of
- 3 cups milk
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 8 slices toast or 8 small crackers
- 1In a large skillet over medium-high, combine 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and half of the onions.Saute until onions are very soft and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add the maple syrup and ginger, then reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking, stirring often, until the onions are thick and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven over medium-high, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the remaining onion, the curry powder, red pepper flakes and the apple. Saute until the onion is tender,about 5 minutes.
- 4Mix in the pumpkin puree and orange juice, then transfer everything in the Dutch oven to a blender or food processor. Add the milk and puree until smooth.
- 5Return the soup to the pot and return to a gentle simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
- 6To serve, ladle the soup into bowls, then top each serving with 2 crackers or pieces of toast. Arrange some of the caramelized onions over the crackers or toast.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Pumpkin Soup With Maple Caramelized Onions
Serving Size: 1 (551 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 621.8
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 67.0 mg
- Sodium 495.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 25.4 g
- Protein 15.9 g