Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderful soup with a great flavor. It's reasonably healthy and great for chilly fall or winter weather. This is one my kids like too. Great simple meal served with bread that can be made in thirty minutes or less. There is a very similar recipe that is lighter (I think this may have been the "original" version since they are so similar). But if you want to go lighter, here is the "light" version (http://www.food.com/recipe/pumpkin-soup-317826). I'll stick with mine because I think it's healthy enough as is, and food with fat has greater staying power, meaning you eat it and are not ravenously hungry a short time later. Enjoy!!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion
- 2 cups cooked pumpkin, mashed or canned
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- Saute onion in butter until soft and beginning to brown.
- Add everything except chicken broth and half-and-half.
- Mix well.
- Add chicken broth and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in half-and-half.