Recipe by Tonkcats
Curried Pumpkin Soup This is a very tasty soup that keeps up to 3 days in the fridge, and freezes well.
Top Review by NancysFancies
No two ways about it - this soup is an absolutely fantastic combination of flavors. I adapted to my own taste by halving both the curry & cumin; also added fresh ginger and 1/2 cup fat free heavy cream (at the very end). I used the larger can of pumpkin & only one apple (which lent a nice, subtle sweetness).
- 4 mcintosh apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 (14 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- sour cream or yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter or margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, curry, and cumin; saute, stirring often, until onion is soft and fragrant. Stir in apples, pumpkin, broth, water, and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Puree soup in a food processor or a blender.
- Return soup to saucepan; reheat, covered, over low heat. Ladle soup into bowls, and swirl a little sour cream or yogurt in the center of each bowl.