Recipe by Sazza
This recipe came from 'Joan Bishops's New Zealand Crockpot and Slow Cooker Cookbook'. It is very easy and not as high in fat as some pumpkin soups, but doesn't lose any of that great flavour. The author suggests cooking on high for 5-7 hours.
Top Review by kricha22
This soup is absolutely divine! Very easy to make and the creamy flavour is delicious. The curry adds a bit of extra spice which is lovely. A great soup to warm you up on a cold day, thanks for the recipe!
- 1 1⁄4 kg pumpkin, peeled
- 1 large potato, peeled
- 400 g tomatoes, pureed or mashed
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock, hot
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated low-fat milk or 1⁄2 cup cream
- chopped chives (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat the cooker for 20 minutes.
- Cut pumpkin and potato into small pieces (2-3cm) and place in the cooker.
- Add tomatoes, onion, pepper and chicken stock.
- Cover with the lid and cook following the times and settings above in the description.
- Add the curry powder and brown sugar.
- Puree in a food processor or blender.
- Return to the cooker and add the light evaporated milk or cream. Stir well and check seasoning, adding salt if necessary.
- Reheat but do not boil. Serve sprinkled with chopped chives.