1/1 Photo of Curried Pumpkin Soup
Kit^..^ty Of Canada's Note:
The flavor combinations are creamy yet light. Serve with fresh bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans solid-pack pumpkin (3 1/2 cups, not pie filling)
- 7 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (12 fl oz)
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk (not low-fat)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 8 fresh curry leaves
- 1Cook onions in butter in a wide 6-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 2Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- 3Add cumin, coriander, and cardamom and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- 4Stir in salt, red pepper flakes, pumpkin, water, broth, and coconut milk and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- 5Purée soup in batches in a blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids), transferring to a large bowl, and return soup to pot.
- 6Keep soup warm over low heat.
- 7Heat oil in a small heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook mustard seeds until they begin to pop, about 15 seconds.
- 8Add curry leaves and cook 5 seconds, then pour mixture into pumpkin soup.
- 9Stir until combined well and season soup with salt.
- 10Soup can be thinned with additional water.
- 11Note: Can be made up to one day in advance. I use the food processor for the chopping of onions, garlic & the immersible blending to puree the soup.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Pumpkin Soup
Serving Size: 1 (451 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.1
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 464.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: