Recipe by ktkate
This is an excellent winter soup. Serve with a hearty bread. The first time we made this my father misread the original recipe and we added 2 cans of pumpkin instead of 2 cups. The result was a much thicker soup which we all liked. So for a thinner soup reduce the amount of canned pumpkin.
Top Review by Mikkijoe
This soup is fantastic! I made it for a church group last night and they are hounding me for the recipe. I made some tweeks, as any cook does. I doubled the butter and flour becasue I wanted to ensure a thick soup. I pre-cooked a sweet potato, cubed, in the veg stock. When it came to add the stock I took out the sweet potato and added it at the very end so it would not break up. And I kept the soup chunky. NEXT I will add either shrimp, black beans or chicken breast, I will keep it super thick and serve over rice. I added alot more curry, and included some ground red pepper too! Fantastic and lots of options to create different meals.
- 7.39 ml olive oil
- 226.79 g sliced fresh mushrooms
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 29.58 ml flour
- 14.79 ml curry powder
- 2 (907.18 g) can pumpkin
- 14.79 ml honey
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 709.77 ml chicken broth
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 340.19 g evaporated milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil and add mushrooms, and onions. Cook until tender.
- Add flour and curry.
- Gradually add the chicken broth.
- Cook and stir constantly over medium heat until thickens.
- Add everything else, but the milk. (For a thinner soup reduce the amount of canned pumpkin).
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the milk and stir until hot.