Recipe by ktkate
This is an excellent winter soup. Serve with a hearty bread. The first time we made this my father misread the original recipe and we added 2 cans of pumpkin instead of 2 cups. The result was a much thicker soup which we all liked. So for a thinner soup reduce the amount of canned pumpkin.
Top Review by Mikkijoe
This soup is fantastic! I made it for a church group last night and they are hounding me for the recipe. I made some tweeks, as any cook does. I doubled the butter and flour becasue I wanted to ensure a thick soup. I pre-cooked a sweet potato, cubed, in the veg stock. When it came to add the stock I took out the sweet potato and added it at the very end so it would not break up. And I kept the soup chunky. NEXT I will add either shrimp, black beans or chicken breast, I will keep it super thick and serve over rice. I added alot more curry, and included some ground red pepper too! Fantastic and lots of options to create different meals.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil and add mushrooms, and onions. Cook until tender.
- Add flour and curry.
- Gradually add the chicken broth.
- Cook and stir constantly over medium heat until thickens.
- Add everything else, but the milk. (For a thinner soup reduce the amount of canned pumpkin).
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the milk and stir until hot.