Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This risotto cooks up rich and creamy, nicely spiced, makes for a great side dish. Takes some time and lots of attention, but is worth the wait! This recipe was created for the Ready, Set, Cook! contest.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons shallots, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup arborio rice (other short or medium grain will work)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Melt butter in large sauce pot.
- Add shallots and red pepper.
- Saute until red pepper begins to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine pumpkin and broth in another saucepan, mixing well over medium-low heat.
- Keep warm.
- Add rice to red pepper mixture, cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add wine, stirring until liquid is almost gone.
- Add cumin and curry powder, stirring through until well blended.
- Over medium heat, begin adding pumpkin/broth liquid, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Stir until liquid is almost gone, then add the next 1/2 cup.
- Continue until the pumpkin broth is gone and rice is tender, or even slightly al dente if you like.
- This can take about 20 to 30 minutes.
- When just a small bit of the last addition of broth is left, add evaporated milk, stirring to blend, and continue to cook for about 3 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add toasted pine nuts.
- Mix through and serve.
1 cup pumpkin??? as in cubes, pureed, baked or raw?? I used boiled cubed which melted down into small pieces. This was good and creamy! I also added cinnamon and nutmeg. Also up the salt.
OMG this was fantastic, I love risotto and I think this is one of the best recipes I have tried. I didnt have pine nuts but next will use them.
haven't made it yet, but sure plan to!! Looks great!