- 500 g pumpkin or 500 g butternut squash
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 medium kumara, cut into 5cm/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- extra water, milk or cream, if needed
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the pumpkin, remove the seeds and cut into 5cm/2" cubes. Cut bacon into short strips.
- Brown bacon over moderate heat in a large soup pot adding some of the butter if the bacon looks like sticking. Remove half the bacon and set aside to use as a garnish. Add the remaining buter, onions, garlic and curry powder and cook till the onion is lightly browned and transluscent. Add the pumpkin, kumera and water. Cover the put and cook till the pumpkin and kumera are tender.
- Puree soup in a food processor or blender, or mash the vegies. Thin with a bit of water, milk or cream if needed and season to taste.
- Serve, topped with the reserved bacon.