Heart, body and soul warming! Use any winter squash you favor. You can even used canned pumpkin. If you pureed your own squash which is super easy see here Pureed Squash Butternut, Acorn Any Hard Winter Squash! do toast up the seeds for a great garnish check this Spicy Roasted Butternut Seeds / Pumpkin Seeds or many others on food.com. Optional Chickpeas gives this a nice texture with the creamy soup. Or serve over rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups pumpkin puree or 4 cups pureed butternut squash
- 15 ounces chickpeas (well rinsed and drained) (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can low fat coconut milk
- 2 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (mushroom-flavored for vegetarians) or 2 tablespoons fish sauce (mushroom-flavored for vegetarians) or 2 tablespoons soy sauce (mushroom-flavored for vegetarians)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 -3 teaspoon red curry paste (start with less then add till you get the heat you enjoy)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro or 4 tablespoons chopped parsley, chopped basil or 4 tablespoons sliced scallions, divided
- 4 tablespoons shredded coconut, toasted
- 1Heat coconut oil in a large pot on medium setting.
- 2Saute onions, ginger and garlic, and saute until onions are tender.
- 3Add pumpkin then puree with a hand immersion blender until mixture is smooth.
- 4Add chickpeas if using.
- 5Add coconut milk, chicken stock, salt, soy sauce, lime juice, curry paste and brown sugar to saucepan. Bring to a simmer cooking for 15 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the cilantro, parsley and or scallions.
- 6Ladle soup into serving bowls, and garnish with shredded coconut and remaining cilantro, parsley and or scallions.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Pumpkin/ Butternut Coconut Soup
Serving Size: 1 (189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 339.3
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 374.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 42.3 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
red curry paste