Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Heart, body and soul warming! Use any winter squash you favor. You can even used canned pumpkin. If you pureed your own squash which is super easy see here Pureed Squash Butternut, Acorn Any Hard Winter Squash! do toast up the seeds for a great garnish check this Spicy Roasted Butternut Seeds / Pumpkin Seeds or many others on food.com. Optional Chickpeas gives this a nice texture with the creamy soup. Or serve over rice.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups pumpkin puree or 4 cups pureed butternut squash
- 15 ounces chickpeas (well rinsed and drained) (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) canlow fat coconut milk
- 2 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (mushroom-flavored for vegetarians) or 2 tablespoons fish sauce (mushroom-flavored for vegetarians) or 2 tablespoons soy sauce (mushroom-flavored for vegetarians)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 -3 teaspoon red curry paste (start with less then add till you get the heat you enjoy)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro or 4 tablespoons chopped parsley, chopped basil or 4 tablespoons sliced scallions, divided
- 4 tablespoons shredded coconut, toasted
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot on medium setting.
- Saute onions, ginger and garlic, and saute until onions are tender.
- Add pumpkin then puree with a hand immersion blender until mixture is smooth.
- Add chickpeas if using.
- Add coconut milk, chicken stock, salt, soy sauce, lime juice, curry paste and brown sugar to saucepan. Bring to a simmer cooking for 15 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the cilantro, parsley and or scallions.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls, and garnish with shredded coconut and remaining cilantro, parsley and or scallions.