Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe from the Trinidad Hilton, the famous upside down hotel in PORT-OF SPAIN. The main entrance is on the top floor, while the bedrooms climb down the green hillside below. From Caribbean Cooking For Pleasure, Mary Slater.
- 1 kg green prawns (raw)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon shallot
- 1 tablespoon spring onion
- 2 tomatoes, peeled & chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups fish stock
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 ounce flour
- 2 small pineapple
- Heat the oil in a frypan, add onions, chives, shallots, spring onions, tomatoes, curry powder (reserve little of chive mix for garnish).
- Cook for 5 minutes without browning.
- Add stock & prawns.
- Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Blend flour and butter and add in small pieces to prawns, stirring until smooth.
- Continue cooking for further 3 minutes.
- While prawns are cooking, plunge pineapple into boiling water for 3 minutes; drain.
- Halve EXACTLY down the middle, leaving some leaves on each half.
- Hollow out some of the flesh, add to prawn mix.
- Fill hollows of pineapple shells with prawn mix .
- Sprinkle with remaining chives mix.
- Allow 1/2 pineapple per person.