Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe is from Bon Appetit magazine, March 2000.
Make and share this Curried Potato, Spinach and Garbanzo Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained (chickpeas)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 lb small red potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup packed baby spinach leaves (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- Transfer 1/3 cup garbanzo beans to small plate. Using fork, mash beans to paste.
- Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Add curry powder; stir 10 seconds. Add potatoes and stir to coat. Add broth, coconut milk, whole garbanzo beans and mashed garbanzo beans. Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 18 minutes. Add spinach; stir until spinach wilts, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
This is a great recipe. It's more like a thick stew as written which I served over rice. I did make one change which was to use kale instead of spinach as I had it in the house and prefer heartier greens. So I added it along with the garbanzo beans and about 1/2 cup additional liquid to help it cook. Will definitely make again. Think it could also be fun with a chopped tomato or two added in the last 5 minutes.