Recipe by Pinay0618
Recipe is from Bon Appetit magazine, March 2000.
Top Review by DrMommaLaelle
This is a great recipe. It's more like a thick stew as written which I served over rice. I did make one change which was to use kale instead of spinach as I had it in the house and prefer heartier greens. So I added it along with the garbanzo beans and about 1/2 cup additional liquid to help it cook. Will definitely make again. Think it could also be fun with a chopped tomato or two added in the last 5 minutes.
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained (chickpeas)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 lb small red potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup packed baby spinach leaves (about 1 1/2 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Transfer 1/3 cup garbanzo beans to small plate. Using fork, mash beans to paste.
- Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Add curry powder; stir 10 seconds. Add potatoes and stir to coat. Add broth, coconut milk, whole garbanzo beans and mashed garbanzo beans. Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 18 minutes. Add spinach; stir until spinach wilts, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.