Recipe by lazyme
The sweetness of the orange juice contrasts nicely with the slightly biting flavor of the curry, which in turn plays up the natural sweetness of the pecans. From Party Nuts!
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, to taste (2 to 3)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- raw pecan halves
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 grated orange, zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 225ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the egg white in a large, stainless steel bowl and whip until frothy.
- Whip in orange juice concentrate, curry powder, salt and, if desired, cayenne.
- Add the pecans and toss until completely coated.
- Add the sugar and toss again.
- Transfer the nuts to the prepared sheet and arrange in a single layer.
- Place in the oven and cook, stirring every 15 minutes, until lightly colored and dried out, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, immediately loosen the nuts with a metal spatula, sprinkle with the orange zest, and set aside to cool before serving.
- Don't substitute prepared orange juice for the concentrate, which is stickier and stronger.
- Mango, pineapple or orange sorbet makes a better substitute.