Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I collected recipes for a number of years, but failed to write down the source of this one.
Make and share this Curried Peanut Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 cup regular long grain rice, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- In a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, in hot oil, cook rice and green onion with curry powder until rice is browned.
- Add broth, heat to boiling, reduce heat to low.
- Cover; simmer 20 minutes.
- Add peas and peanuts.
- Cook 5 minutes more.
This was a really good meatless recipe. My whole family loved it, even my picky 2-year-old. And it was easy and quick to make. I added the frozen peas directly to the pot, without thawing them. It turned out wonderful!
Just a note. Chicken broth is meat. Please be aware of this if you are looking for meatless.
This was nice, if a bit on the dry side. The curry powder that you use can break or make this recipe so make sure you use one that you really like! I used Madras curry sambar powder which worked pretty well. The peanuts tasted a little odd because they had been first roasted and then "cooked" a bit (the 5 minute simmer!), so I would crush them next time instead of using them whole. Since I'm vegetarian, I substituted chicken broth with an equal amount of water. I think I will make this recipe again, with a few changes. Thanks for posting, James! :)