Recipe by Ms B.
This is a simple soup with fabulous flavor from the February 2006 issue of Gourmet magazine. They suggest that you can make this vegetarian by using vegetable broth.
Top Review by SaraStar
I used curry paste instead of powder and served the soup with chicken. The flavor was a little heavy for me at first, so I added the juice of one lime and about half a tablespoon of soy sauce to lighten it up and make it a little more "Thai". The result was delicious and I'll definitely be making it again!
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (preferably Madras)
- 1 (14 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 3⁄4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onion, salt, and pepper in oil in a 2 to 3 quart heavy sauce pan over moderate hear, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder and cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes (with their juice) and broth and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Stir hot water into peanut butter until smooth and add to soup.
- Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro before serving.