Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Gourmet Magazine. Flavours must 'meld' for atleast 8 hours before serving.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs firm-ripe peaches
- 1⁄2 lb tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion (1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Cut a shallow X in bottom of each peach and tomato with a sharp paring knife and blanch in 2 batches in a 4-quart saucepan of boiling water 10 seconds. Transfer peaches and tomatoes with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice and cold water and let stand until cool enough to handle. Peel peaches and tomatoes, then halve peaches lengthwise and pit. Cut peaches into 1-inch pieces. Coarsely chop tomatoes.
- Cook onion, ginger, and salt in oil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add curry powder and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add peaches and tomatoes with any juices, sugar, and lime juice and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick and peaches are tender but still hold their shape, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool, uncovered, then chill, covered, at least 8 hours.