Recipe by Mirj
This soup is delicious, although some kids may balk at the color. We can't get enough of it.
Top Review by Chef floWer
We had lots of bags of frozen peas, long story on why but here is the short version. We went into a cheese store in Melbourne wanting to buy one Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Because we wanted to take the store home we purchased a whole heap of cheese. The shop attended said we should put the cheese on ice or have them wrapped with frozen peas, so they don't go off during our 2.5 hour drive. So hence the reason I made this soup, after seeing the recipe on the front page as recipe of the day. The soup was calling me to make it. :) It's a very simple soup and the end result was outstanding. The sweetness of the peas made every spoonful better then the last. Thanks so much for posting your recipe Mirj
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 teaspoons curry powder
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (10 ounce) packagesfrozen tiny peas or 3 lbs fresh peas, shelled (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 onion and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add curry and stir 30 seconds.
- Add 4 cups broth and peas and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer until peas are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Puree in blender in batches.
- Thin with more broth if desired.
- Mix yogurt, cilantro and red onion in small bowl.
- Cover; chill up to 2 hours.
- Rewarm soup, stirring often.
- Serve with dollop of yogurt mixture.