Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a lovely, flavourful but light dish that can be easily adapted for a diet with low fat ingredients. You can't get crushed pineapple where I live so I use pineapple chunks and chop them very finely. Cooking time includes half an hour of chill time.
- 2 1⁄2 cups dry fusilli
- cooking spray (could use butter)
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons korma paste
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3⁄4 cup light mayonnaise (I use extra light)
- 3 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple (reserve the juice)
- 1⁄2 lb cooked chicken breast, chopped (200 grams)
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package (if you like, continue with step 2 while the pasta cooks). When cooked, drain thoroughly and rinse under cold running water until the pasta has cooled. Drain and put in a large serving bowl.
- Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray or melt a little butter if you prefer. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the korma paste and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in the apricots, tomato paste and water and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Stir together the mayonnaise and mango chutney in a bowl until blended. Drain the crushed pineapple, adding 2 tablespoons of the pineapple juice to the mayonnaise mixture. (If using pineapple chunks, chop them finely now).
- Stir the pineapple, mayonnaise mixture, onions with korma paste and cooked chicken pieces into the pasta in the serving bowl. Toss together to coat the pasta.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes to allow the flavours to blend.
- Serve cold and enjoy!
We enjoyed this very much for lunch yesterday. Lovely combination of flavors. I searched high and low for Korma paste but couldn't find it in any of my local stores but did find Tikka paste so I used that instead. I also substituted sour cream for the mayonnaise (personal preference) and used chopped fresh peaches in place of the dried apricots. This is a nice change of pace from traditional pasta salads. Made for PRMR.
Great salad. I am really starting to enjoy curry. Nice combination of fruit. I also added some cilantro as FT suggested. I did not chop my apricots too small. I love dried apricots. made for ZWT 6.
I have to admit I was afraid at first that I was not going to like this salad because of all the fruit, but I was very pleasantly surprised. This made for a tasty lunch today. I used 1/2 lb seasoned cooked chicken breast from Trader Joe's for ease of preparation. I could not find korma paste so I used a korma cooking sauce and omitted the water in Step 4, since I assumed the paste would have a thicker consistency than the sauce. This seemed to work. Also, I did not use light mayo, as I didn't have any--just the full fat version!! Thanks for expanding my horizons. I've definitely never had a salad like this before. Made for Zingo ZWT6.