Recipe by wizkid
I had this at my friend's house. She is a vegetarian. It was absolutely delicious, I have made it many times since. This recipie is one of Delia Smith's.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs young parsnips, diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium bramley apple (6 oz)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 6 whole cardamom pods (seeds only)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 pints good-flavoured vegetable stock
- fresh ground pepper
For the parsnip crisps
- 1 medium parsnip (10-12 oz)
- 6 tablespoons peanut oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a small frying pan and dry roast the coriander, cumin and cardomom seeds for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove them and crush them finely with a pestle and mortar.
- Next, heat the butter and oil in a saucepan until the butter begins to foam.
- Add the onions and gently soften for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the crushed spices along with the turmeric, cayenne and ginger.
- Stir and cook gently for 5 more minutes.
- Add the parsmips and stir in the stock.
- Add salt and pepper and simmer gently for 1 hour without putting on a lid.
- Then liquidise.
- For the parsnip crisps.
- peel and finely slice the parsnip.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan until it is very hot.
- fry the parsnip in batches until they are golden brown 2-3 minutes.
- remove them with a slotted spoon, and put them on kitchen paper to drain.
- Serve on the heated soup.