1/1 Photo of Curried Parsnip and Apple Soup With Parsnip Crisps
1 hr 10 mins
I had this at my friend's house. She is a vegetarian. It was absolutely delicious, I have made it many times since. This recipie is one of Delia Smith's.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs young parsnips, diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium bramley apple (6 oz)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 6 whole cardamom pods (seeds only)
- 1 1/2 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 pints good-flavoured vegetable stock
- fresh ground pepper
For the parsnip crisps
- 1Heat a small frying pan and dry roast the coriander, cumin and cardomom seeds for 2-3 minutes.
- 2Remove them and crush them finely with a pestle and mortar.
- 3Next, heat the butter and oil in a saucepan until the butter begins to foam.
- 4Add the onions and gently soften for about 5 minutes.
- 5Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- 6Add the crushed spices along with the turmeric, cayenne and ginger.
- 7Stir and cook gently for 5 more minutes.
- 8Add the parsmips and stir in the stock.
- 9Add salt and pepper and simmer gently for 1 hour without putting on a lid.
- 10Then liquidise.
- 11For the parsnip crisps.
- 12peel and finely slice the parsnip.
- 13Heat the oil in a frying pan until it is very hot.
- 14fry the parsnip in batches until they are golden brown 2-3 minutes.
- 15remove them with a slotted spoon, and put them on kitchen paper to drain.
- 16Serve on the heated soup.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Parsnip and Apple Soup With Parsnip Crisps
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 312.7
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 64.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: