Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A frugal recipe that helps use up your onions.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups coarsely crumbled soda crackers
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium microwave safe bowl. Add soda crackers, curry powder, and broth. Blend well. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onions, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally until golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, beat milk with egg, salt, and pepper until blended.
- Spread half of cracker mixture over bottom of a greased 8-inch square baking dish. Top with onions. Sprinkle on cheddar cheese. Gently pour milk mixture over all. Cover dish evenly with remaining crumbled cracker mixture. Sprinkle paprika over top.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes at 325 degrees, until hot and bubbly.
Indeed a good way to use up some onions!!! We enjoyed this lightly curried bake, very nice side dish. Thank you Anonymity, made for My 3 Chefs 2013