Prep 25 mins
Cook 17 mins
This recipe is really easy to prepare, and it is SO delicious. You will love the mango relish with it, too!
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped roughly
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot, peeled and chopped roughly.
- 2 fresh red chilies, seeded and chopped (use more or less to your tastes)
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil (vegetable or sunflower will work too)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 green cardamom pods, seeds removed and then ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 3⁄4 lb mushroom (you can cut them if they are too large)
- 8 ounces garbanzo beans (cooked)
- 8 ounces okra, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 large ripe mango, weight equally approximately 1 1/4 pounds
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, grated
- 1 -2 fresh red chile, seeded and chopped finely (more or less to your tastes)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- For the Relish: First you will want to peel your mango and then cut off the flesh from the pit.
- Place the mango in a bowl, and process it with a food processor, or simply mash it with a hand masher, whatever you choose to do.
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients and set aside.
- For the curry: In a clean food processor bowl, place the garlic, ginger, chiles and 3 tablespoons of water, and process until smooth.
- Next, heat your oil in a large saucepan, and add the whole coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and allow them to sizzle for a few seconds, allowing for the flavors to release a bit.
- Then add the ground cumin, the ground cardamom seeds, and turmeric and cook for about a minute or so.
- Then add the garlic paste that you made in the processor, along with the tomatoes and remaining water.
- Stir to mix well, and then add the mushrooms, okra, and garbanzo beans.
- Stir again, and then bring to a boil.
- Reduce your heat and then cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and turn your heat up slightly and cook for about 8-10 more minutes (maybe less depending on your okra), until the okra is tender but not too soft (you dont want mushy okra).
- Remove from heat and add your chopped cilantro, stirring lightly.
- Serve with your mango relish and rice (I like it with basmati).
A delicious and healthy dish which we enjoyed very much, and a great introduction to okra. The Chile-Mango Relish was a delicious accompaniment. The instructions are clear, and it is not difficult to prepare, so don't be put off by the long list of ingredients. Thanks for posting love!