This recipe is really easy to prepare, and it is SO delicious. You will love the mango relish with it, too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped roughly
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot, peeled and chopped roughly.
- 2 fresh red chilies, seeded and chopped (use more or less to your tastes)
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil (vegetable or sunflower will work too)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 green cardamom pods, seeds removed and then ground
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 3/4 lb mushroom (you can cut them if they are too large)
- 8 ounces garbanzo beans (cooked)
- 8 ounces okra, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1For the Relish: First you will want to peel your mango and then cut off the flesh from the pit.
- 2Place the mango in a bowl, and process it with a food processor, or simply mash it with a hand masher, whatever you choose to do.
- 3Mix in the rest of the ingredients and set aside.
- 4For the curry: In a clean food processor bowl, place the garlic, ginger, chiles and 3 tablespoons of water, and process until smooth.
- 5Next, heat your oil in a large saucepan, and add the whole coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and allow them to sizzle for a few seconds, allowing for the flavors to release a bit.
- 6Then add the ground cumin, the ground cardamom seeds, and turmeric and cook for about a minute or so.
- 7Then add the garlic paste that you made in the processor, along with the tomatoes and remaining water.
- 8Stir to mix well, and then add the mushrooms, okra, and garbanzo beans.
- 9Stir again, and then bring to a boil.
- 10Reduce your heat and then cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 11Remove the lid and turn your heat up slightly and cook for about 8-10 more minutes (maybe less depending on your okra), until the okra is tender but not too soft (you dont want mushy okra).
- 12Remove from heat and add your chopped cilantro, stirring lightly.
- 13Serve with your mango relish and rice (I like it with basmati).
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Okra, Mushrooms and Garbanzo Beans
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.2
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 231.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 16.9 g
- Protein 9.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green cardamom pods