Recipe by Alskann
An African side dish. This also makes a nice sandwich filler.
Top Review by Mommy2two
I have never liked okra before, but since it is good for your health I really wanted to try to like it. Well, with this recipe I don't have to try to like it, it is really good!! I think next time I'll add more curry powder for a little more flavor, but it was really delicious and not slimy at all!
- 1 lb young okra pods
- 2 onions
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried hot red chili pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon mild curry powder (depending on personal taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut off the ends of the okra pods.
- Slice the pods into approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inch rounds.
- Peel and slice the onions.
- Place the sliced Okra into a glass or stainless steel bowl and sprinkle liberally with salt.
- Cover with the iced water, making sure that all slices are under water; refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Remove the bowl from the refrigerator and drain off the salt water.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the Okra and fry until lightly browned. (Approximately 10 minutes).
- Turning frequently to prevent sticking.
- Add the remaining ingredients and fry for a further 3 minutes, until the onions are soft.
- Serve hot.