Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
An African side dish. This also makes a nice sandwich filler.
Make and share this Curried Okra recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb young okra pods
- 2 onions
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried hot red chili pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon mild curry powder (depending on personal taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut off the ends of the okra pods.
- Slice the pods into approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inch rounds.
- Peel and slice the onions.
- Place the sliced Okra into a glass or stainless steel bowl and sprinkle liberally with salt.
- Cover with the iced water, making sure that all slices are under water; refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Remove the bowl from the refrigerator and drain off the salt water.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the Okra and fry until lightly browned. (Approximately 10 minutes).
- Turning frequently to prevent sticking.
- Add the remaining ingredients and fry for a further 3 minutes, until the onions are soft.
- Serve hot.
I have never liked okra before, but since it is good for your health I really wanted to try to like it. Well, with this recipe I don't have to try to like it, it is really good!! I think next time I'll add more curry powder for a little more flavor, but it was really delicious and not slimy at all!
I only soaked the okra for about 30 minutes as some other reviewers did. Instead of sauteing them on the stove, I layered it into a casserole dish as okra, spices, and onions, dotted it with butter, then baked it at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes, stirring at the last five minutes (all of the burners on my stove were taken up). Anyway, there wasn't any left from the DH and kids, I didn't even get to taste, so I guess it was pretty good! Thanks Alskann!
Yum. I only soaked for like 30 minutes, but it came out great! It was definitely slimey at first, but I cooked it down for probably 15 minutes and it perfectly done at the end. Good flavor, and super easy.