Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This recipe creates flavoursome, feather light naan breads - great for snacking, and a fabulous accompaniment to a host of Indian dishes. Time does not include rising time.
- 500 g strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for frying
- 50 g mild curry powder
- 15 g yeast
- 300 ml water
- 100 g sultanas
- 3 tablespoons mango chutney
- Put the flour, salt, oil, curry powder, yeast and water into a bowl and mix together for 2 minutes. Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until the dough is soft and pliable. Leave to rise for 30 minutes.
- Grease and line a baking sheet. Incorporate the sultanas and chutney into the dough. Divide the dough into six pieces; place them on the baking tray and leave to rest for 1 hour.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and, using a rolling pin, flatten each piece into a circle, 25½cm in diameter, put back on the tray and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Pour a little olive oil into a frying pan over a moderate and fry naan until browned on both sides. Set aside to cool slightly before serving.