2 hrs 40 mins
Most Bermudians love some mussel pie at the yearly Cup Match cricket game. The local custom is to have the lid of the hot pie sliced open and a dollop of mayonnaise inserted. (Taken from the Spirit of Bermuda cookbook.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 bushel small mussels, scrubbed
- 2 lbs potatoes, cut in small dice
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid gravy browner
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1FOR THE PIE FILLING:.
- 2Steam the mussels in 3/4 cup of water and reserve the broth. Remove the mussels from their shells and keep ready.
- 3Strain the broth of all grit (a fine strainer or cheesecloth should be used) and reheat.
- 4Boil the onions, potatoes, thyme and parsley together in the water until the potatoes are tender.
- 5Add the curry powder, worcestershire sauce, gravy browning, and mussels and bring to a boil.
- 6Thicken with cornstarch mixed with cold water, added while the mixture is boiling.
- 7If it's not thick enough, repeat with more cornstarch and water.
- 8Allow the filling to cool before proceeding.
- 9FOR THE PASTRY:.
- 10Stir together the flour and the salt.
- 11Cut the shortening into the flour until it resembles small peas.
- 12Sprinkle with a little water and toss to moisten the dough. Work the dough as little as possible, using as few strokes as you can to get it all combined into a ball.
- 13Flatten slightly and wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for atleast an hour or for up to 4 days in the fridge. (a month in the freezer).
- 14Let dough soften at room temperature before rolling out.
- 15Use the inverted pie pan or ramekin to measure the circle of dough needed.
- 16Fill pans or ramekins, cut and fit dough to top of pie.
- 17Bake until golden brown and bubbly within.
- 18(Please note that the cooking time I have added is merely an estimate, as is the amount of pie.).
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Mussel Pie
Serving Size: 1 (141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 306.0
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 257.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
liquid gravy browner