I was given this recipe by a co-worker of mine who grew up in South Africa. It is from "Everyday Cape Malay Cooking" by Zainab Legardien. I have modified the recipe to either be more in line with our tastes or to use ingredients that I can get at my local grocery store. You can serve this with rice, spinach or by itself.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 petal star anise
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons dried breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ghee, softened
- 1 tomato, cubed
- 500 g extra lean ground beef
- Heat oil over medium heat and stir-fry the onions.
- Add cinnamon stick and water, then add tomato sauce, garam masala, turmeric, ginger paste, salt, starseed petal and vinegar.
- Mix well and leave to simmer on low.
- To prepare the meatballs, place breadcrumbs, parsley, ghee, tomato and ground beef in a bowl and mix well but lightly.
- Form into medium-sized balls.
- Add meatballs to simmering sauce and add more water if necessary.
- Reduce heat and add bay leaves, sugar, all spice and breadcrumbs - IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT STIR AT THIS STAGE.
- Simmer, covered, until done (about 15 minutes).