Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Green mangoes are used in this recipe and they take on the role of a vegetable side dish that complements meat or vegetarian meals.
- 4 -5 green mangoes
- 2 tablespoons trinidadian curry powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- hot pepper (optional) or west indian pepper sauce (optional)
- 2 teaspoons massala mixed spice (preferably anchar massala but garam massala will work as well)
- Cut mango lengthwise through the seed into 6 or eight pieces.
- Discard inner part of seed. Wash and set aside.
- Mix curry powder in 1/2 cup water to make a paste.
- Heat oil in heavy pot, add curry paste and cook stirring constantly over low heat for a minute.
- Add mangoes and stir to coat with curry.
- Add remaining water, garlic, salt sugar and hot pepper.
- Lower heat, cover and cook until mangoes are tender and liquid has evaporated, add more water if needed.
- Taste mango and add more sugar if mangoes are too tart.
- Sprinkle with anchar massala and stir well.
- Remove from the heat.
- Adjust salt and pepper.