Prep 10 mins
Cook 31 mins
In this easy to prepare side dish, yogurt softens the intensity of curry while allowing the spice to impart its distinct, aromatic flavor.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey or 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 Red Delicious apple
- In a 2-quart saucepan, heat water, lentils, onion, and 1/2 tsp. salt to boiling over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, partially covered, until lentils are tender but not mushy-about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium-size skillet, heat oil over medium heat; add curry and cook 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and cool 5 minutes; stir in yogurt, honey, and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt.
- Drain lentil mixture in strainer; transfer to large serving bowl.
- Fold in yogurt mixture, carrot, and parsley.
- Just before serving, core apple and thinly slice; gently stir slices into lentil mixture and serve.
This is simple and good. I'm cutting on fat(as much as I can and wherever I can) so I cooked this in a slightly different way. I omitted the oil totally. I followed steps 1,2 and 3 as they are. While the lentils were cooking, I grated the carrot and put it into a bowl. To this I added honey, salt, yoghurt, curry powder, parsley and the drained lentil-onion mixture. I mixed it all well and then transferred it to a serving bowl. I served it immediately(hot). I liked the crunchiness of the grated carrot in this and the overall flavour was well balanced, too. It was not too spicy nor too sweet. Just right! I did not add the apple(just a personal preference of my family because they don't like me mixing fruits with vegetables, so I had to leave that out). This makes a nice lentil-yoghurt side dish. Thanks for posting!
I thought this was really delicious, but just a smidge lacking in flavour. (To be fair I have really bold tastes.) But it was very well balanced, with the curry and the honey and the apples. Yum. Thanks for the recipe - I'll still make it again.
Very very good! I used dried apples which I thought worked out quite well. I love the crunchy and sweet flavor you get from the apples and carrots! Great contrast! :) I did use more curry then called for after reading the other reviews and I think it could still use a bit more. Next time I'll probably use more like 3 1/2 tsp. Thanks for another great lentil recipe Sharon!