Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Nava Atlas, "Vegetariana" Pretty tasty, very easy. Needs a little something. I thought it would be good with shrimp in it, Joe (DH) suggested some heat (hot bean paste?). Maybe cubes of butternut squash? If anyone comes up with something fabulous, please share!
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb spinach leaves, washed, stemmed & chopped
- 14 ounces canned plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tamari or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Wash lentils. Cook till tender but firm.
- Heat olive oil in large pot & when hot add garlic. Sautee for 1 minute. Add spinach leaves & steam till they wilt. Add lentils & rest of ingredients.
- Cover & simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
This was worth making. It's more of a subtle flavored dish. I did add a cup of minced onion and sauted it with the garlic. I also doubled all the spices but the curry which I only added one more teaspoon to. Also, my tomatoes had basil in them. Thanks for the recipe! I'm sure I'll make this again sometime.
It is missing something, but was a good solid recipe. Will make again and play with it. *Made it again with frozen spinach and added a chopped onion. Better, but still needs something with crunch and with more color.
Hey Chef MB! I tried to respond to your z-mail but your settings won't allow me to!! Go ahead and use two cups of whole corn flakes. :oD