Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found this on bhg.com, did some modifications to it. It is one of our favorites as a healthy side dish or a fast lunch.
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup carrot, diced small
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 teaspoons curry powder (you can use less if you want)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Soak the lentils in cold water overnight.
- Combine all ingredients in a pot.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
I enjoyed this very much. It was tasty, healthy and filling. I followed the recipe as written and when it was done, I added a splash of red wine vinegar. I used a good-quality madras curry powder. Delicious! Thanx for sharing!
This is really fast and simple. I cut the recipe in half and used 1 veggie bouillon. I upped the curry powder to double the amount but I looooove curry so..... Really good with rice or in a sourdough bread bowl.
I used homemade chicken stock in place of half the water. This is a great little vegetarian recipe. I ate the leftovers with a little extra stock as a soup the next day for lunch. I found no reason to soak them overnight. They were completely done in about 45 minutes.