This is a recipe I adopted from Zenith's recipe collection when many unloved recipes were put up for adoption. All of her recipes were very good and this is no exception. Here's what Zenith had to say about this dish: A tasty vegetarian one-pot meal. (If you're not a vegetarian, you may wish to make this with chicken broth.)
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable broth (instead of using oil)
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or put through a press
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 -3 teaspoons curry powder, to taste
- 1 cup brown rice, washed
- 3⁄4 cup dried lentils
- 4 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1⁄3 cup raisins or 1⁄3 cup currants
- 1 large tart apple, diced (e.g. Granny Smith)
- Heat the 2 T broth (or you can use oil) in a heavy-bottomed soup pot, saucepan, or Dutch oven and saute the onion with 1 clove of the garlic until it begins to turn translucent.
- Add the ginger, turmeric, and curry powder and saute for a few minutes longer.
- Add more broth (or water), if necessary, and the rice, and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, 4 cups water, bouillon cubes, remaining garlic, and raisins and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the apples and simmer, covered, for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- Optionally, serve topped with plain yogurt and some more raisins.