Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is designed for use with a rice cooker but should be easily converted if you don't have one. I don't remember where I originally got this.
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint or 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- 3⁄4 cup basmati rice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup brown lentils
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock or 2 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup diced seeded tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups packed chopped fresh spinach
- Mix mint and yogurt and refrigerate.
- Wash rice in warm water until the water runs clear.
- Add olive oil, onion, curry, ginger and cumin to the rice cooker. Cook 4-5 minutes, stirring, to soften the onions.
- Add lentils and stir to coat. Add the broth, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except spinach, and continue to cook until rice cooker swithches to "warm" function.
- Carefully lift cover, then quickly stir in the spinach and re-cover. Allow to stand for 10 minutes. The rice should have an attractive, light brown crusting on the bottom.
- Serve with a dollop of the chilled, minted yogurt.
We loved this recipe but did a few small changes; we added more curry and left out the yogurt and mint mix ( personal taste)As well as the spinach. I had a patato spinach broth to go with this meal and thought it would be too much... Ecellent recipe though, a little mild for a curry lover but wonderful flavor! Thanks for the post!