Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
A wonderful salad with a multitude of flavours and textures. If you don't care for currants, raisins or dried apricots work equally well. I use half currants and half apricots in this recipe if I have them both on hand.
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice
- 2⁄3 cup green lentil
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 pinch cinnamon (a pinch is 1/16 of a teaspoon)
- 1 pinch clove
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- Cook the wild rice in a large, covered pot of boiling, salted water, for 10 minutes.
- Add the lentils and boil for 20 minutes.
- Add the orzo and boil for about 5 minutes, or until just tender.
- Drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the currants and onions and set aside.
- Dressing: Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Pour over the rice mixture and toss gently.
- Let the salad cool completely, then cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or better, over night.
- Sprinkle on the almonds just before serving.
This recipe made a refreshing and nourishing summer dinner - a great alternative to or addition to meat dishes. The blend of flavors and textures was very pleasing. The best thing was that it was so easy to make using spices, grains and beans on-hand. I added a little vegetable stock to the pot instead of water just to intensify flavors and provide a little more nourishment; otherwise, I followed the recipe just as printed.
I really enjoyed this salad recipe and it was very filling. Dead easy to make with the instructions given. Thank you for a great salad recipe!