Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A wonderful salad with a multitude of flavours and textures. If you don't care for currants, raisins or dried apricots work equally well. I use half currants and half apricots in this recipe if I have them both on hand.
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice
- 2⁄3 cup green lentil
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 pinch cinnamon (a pinch is 1/16 of a teaspoon)
- 1 pinch clove
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- Cook the wild rice in a large, covered pot of boiling, salted water, for 10 minutes.
- Add the lentils and boil for 20 minutes.
- Add the orzo and boil for about 5 minutes, or until just tender.
- Drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the currants and onions and set aside.
- Dressing: Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Pour over the rice mixture and toss gently.
- Let the salad cool completely, then cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or better, over night.
- Sprinkle on the almonds just before serving.