Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
An innovative, delicious salad found in today's Canadian Living Newsletter.
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice (125 mL)
- 2⁄3 cup green lentils (150 mL) or 2⁄3 cup brown lentils (150 mL)
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta (125 mL)
- 1⁄2 cup currants (125 mL) or 1⁄2 cup raisins (125 mL)
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, finely chopped (50 mL)
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds, toasted (75 mL)
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar (50 mL)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (5 mL)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (5 mL)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (2 mL)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (2 mL)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander (2 mL)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric (1 mL)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika (1 mL)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (1 mL)
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch clove
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil (75 mL) or 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil (75 mL)
- In large pot of boiling salted water, cover and cook wild rice for 10 minutes.
- Add lentils; boil for 20 minutes. Add orzo; cook just until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and transfer to large bowl. Add currants and onion.
- Dressing: In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, cumin, mustard, sugar, salt, coriander, turmeric, paprika, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and cayenne; whisk in oil. Pour over rice mixture and toss gently.
- Let cool; cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.) To serve, sprinkle salad with almonds.