1/2 Photos of Curried Lentil Soup
Dr. Jenny's Note:
We made this filling soup from recent (December 2010?) issue of Bon Appetit. The soup calls for French green lentils, which are small, dark green, and speckled with black. We found them at a specialty foods store. It is suggested that you begin with 2 Tb of your favorite curry powder (we used Madras) and then add more according to your taste. We liked the idea of adding pureed chickpeas to the soup, which makes it different from other lentil soups we've seen. It thickens the soup without adding the calories you might get from a flour roux or heavy cream. The recipe says it makes 6 servings, but DH and I were very hungry today at lunch and ate the entirety, so I am listing it as 4.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (or more to taste)
- 1 cup french green lentil
- 4 1/4 cups water, divided (or more)
- 1 (15 -16 ounce) can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
- 1Heat 1 Tb olive oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes.
- 2Add half of chopped garlic; stir until vegetables are soft but not brown, about 4 minutes longer.
- 3Add 2 Tb curry powder; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add lentils and 4 cups water. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Increase heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, puree chickpeas, lemon juice, 1/4 cup water, remaining 2 Tb olive oil, and remaining garlic in processor.
- 5Add chickpea puree and butter to lentil soup. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and additional curry powder, if desired. Add water by 1/4 cupfuls to thin to desired consistency.
- 6Note: Soup can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cool, cover, and refrigerate. Rewarm before continuing.
- 7Divide soup among bowls. Sprinkle with thinly sliced green onions and serve with lemon wedges.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (496 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 473.9
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 394.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.9 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 18.9 g