Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Cut this out of my local paper years ago. Delicious comfort food. I recommend using Roasted Curry Powder #2. Awesome smoky flavour.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups green lentils or 1 1⁄2 cups brown lentils
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 7 cups vegetable stock or 7 cups water
- salt and pepper
- yogurt, as garnish (optional)
- chopped coriander (optional) or parsley, as garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in large pot.
- Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic; cook 10 minutes until vegetables softened.
- Stir in curry powder; cook 2 minutes.
- Rinse and drain lentils; stir into vegetable mixture. Add cinnamon, tomatoes and stock.
- Bring to a boil; simmer, partially uncovered, 1 hour until lentils are soft.
- Remove cinnamon. Add salt and pepper. Puree some of the soup leaving about half chunky.
- Garnish with yogurt and chopped herbs, if desired.
Not as tasty as I'd imagined but maybe I dont like the store bought curry powder I used. Whoever makes this should use the one you recommend or one they know tastes really good.