1 hr 20 mins
This is my version of a very tasty soup recipe that was in the local newspaper. It's a good idea to make the vegetables all about the same size dice, they cook evenly that way. I used half chicken stock and half water, but I'm sure that vegetable stock would be great too that way the soup could be kosher and or vegetarian!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 7 cups chicken stock (or a combo) or 7 cups water (or a combo)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (or to taste)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup parsley or 1/2 cup coriander, chopped
- 1In a large soup pot heat oil.
- 2Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic; stirring often, cook the vegetables, about 10 minutes or until softened.
- 3Add curry powder and cayenne pepper: cook, stirring about 2 minutes.
- 4Stir rinsed and drained lentils into vegetable mixture.
- 5Add cinnamon stick, tomatoes and stock.
- 6Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, about 1 hour or until lentils are soft.
- 7Remove cinnamon stick. Add salt and pepper.
- 8Using immersion blender, puree some of the soup, leaving some of it chunky.
- 9Garnish each bowl with a dollop of yogurt and chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (445 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 427.9
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 13.7 mg
- Sodium 1138.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.0 g
- Sugars 15.1 g
- Protein 23.1 g