Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Adapted fron a 2007 issue of Super Food Ideas - great winter warmer.
Make and share this Curried Lentil and Vegetable Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons curry powder, I use mild
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry green lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 red apple, peeled and diced
- 1 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 liter stock, i use vegetable stock
- Heat oil in large saucepan.
- Add curry powder and vegetables.
- Cook for 4 or 5 minutes till aromatic.
- Add lentils, apple, tomato and stock.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 50 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Serve when mixture is thickened and lentils are tender.
Oh my my my - this one is going in my favorite recipes of 2010! Instead of doing this on the stove, I threw everything into crockpot (except olive oil), subbing 2T tomato paste in place of a tomato. I really loved the flavors of the veggies and curry combined with the sweet apples. YUM!
My hubby raved about this soup! I really wasn't expecting him to care for it and had planned a menu using it as a starter. He skipped the rest of the meal and just ate soup. It really had a lovely flavor and was almost sweet. All of the veggies (& that apple) blended together to make an unexpected treat. I used Madras Curry Powder (forgot to add the tumeric) and made several substitutions to use what was on hand & to meet a ZWT4 challenge. I used a turnip in place of the parsnip, mixed lentils instead of only green, and canned tomatoes. Thank you for a keeper!
This is a great, warming and healthy soup packing lots of veggies. I halved the recipe with ease and omitted the oil and used non-stick cooking spray instead to cut out the fat. I added a generous amount of salt and pepper and had to add additional stock but otherwise did not change a thing.