Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A great easy soup, that's packed full of protein and vitamins. Economical to make. To make it gluten free ensure your stock and curry powder are labeled as gluten free. The quality of the stock and vegetables used in this dish will make all the difference to the taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 teaspoons curry powder or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons asian curry paste
- 1 medium onion
- 6 cups vegetable stock or 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup dried red lentils, thoroughly rinsed with water and drained
- 125 g broccoli
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add onion and fry over a gentle heat until the onion has softened and is clear in colour.
- Increase the heat and add the curry powder or paste and stir for 2 min to release the fragrance. Add the stock and tomato paste bring to the boil and reduce heat.
- Add the lentils, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add all of the vegetables and simmer covered for a further 15 min till vegetables are tender.
- Serve sprinkled with some chopped basil or parsley, or some grated parmesan cheese, or a swirl or sour cream or yogurt.
- For Vegetarian use the vegetable broth.
Good and simple recipe for lentil soup. Used Spice Island curry powder and added some leftover brown rice to the pot as well. Used a home made chicken stock. The tomato paste gives it a nice color
Wow, super tasty! I used spicy curry powder and it needed no other spices or herbs. I also added a few cloves of garlic, upped the carrot, and didn't use the tomato paste or zucchini because I didn't have any. Also only used 4 cups of broth. Used green lentils--maybe 1/2 cup and then the Trader Joe's mix of barley, split peas and lentils--1/2 cup of that. Great way to use carrots and celery in your fridge!
Quite good. Excellent use for all the broccoli stems left over after the florets are removed for another purpose. I chopped these fine with the carrots and onion, and the soup turned out well. Very filling and nutritious!