A great easy soup, that's packed full of protein and vitamins. Economical to make. To make it gluten free ensure your stock and curry powder are labeled as gluten free. The quality of the stock and vegetables used in this dish will make all the difference to the taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 teaspoons curry powder or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons asian curry paste
- 1 medium onion
- 6 cups vegetable stock or 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup dried red lentils, thoroughly rinsed with water and drained
- 125 g broccoli
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add onion and fry over a gentle heat until the onion has softened and is clear in colour.
- Increase the heat and add the curry powder or paste and stir for 2 min to release the fragrance. Add the stock and tomato paste bring to the boil and reduce heat.
- Add the lentils, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add all of the vegetables and simmer covered for a further 15 min till vegetables are tender.
- Serve sprinkled with some chopped basil or parsley, or some grated parmesan cheese, or a swirl or sour cream or yogurt.
- For Vegetarian use the vegetable broth.