Curried Lentil and Spinach Soup
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add next 4 ingredients; sauté until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in curry powder, ginger, cumin, bay leaf, and dried crushed red pepper.
- Add 9 1/2 cups water and dried lentils; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until lentils are tender, adding more water by 1/2 cupfuls to thin soup, if desired, about 25 minutes.
- Add spinach; simmer until spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Season soup with salt and pepper.