Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Recipe from epicurious.com. I've yet to try it, I hope it comes out well.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped and peeled
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (preferably Madras-style)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 9 1⁄2 cups water (or more)
- 1 (16 ounce) bag dried lentils (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 (6 ounce) bag baby spinach leaves
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add next 4 ingredients; sauté until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in curry powder, ginger, cumin, bay leaf, and dried crushed red pepper.
- Add 9 1/2 cups water and dried lentils; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until lentils are tender, adding more water by 1/2 cupfuls to thin soup, if desired, about 25 minutes.
- Add spinach; simmer until spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Season soup with salt and pepper.
This was a simple and wonderful soup. It's a plus that it's also vegan.