Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Found this health recipe full of healthy ingredients and thought I'd post it.
Make and share this Curried Lentil and Spinach Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 354.88 ml chopped onions
- 236.59 ml celery
- 236.59 ml chopped carrot
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 14.79 ml curry powder
- 14.79 ml minced fresh ginger
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.23 ml dry crushed red pepper
- 2247.60 ml water
- 591.47 ml dried lentils
- 170.09 g bag baby spinach leaves
- 118.29 ml chopped cilantro
- 118.29 ml plain yogurt
- Heat oil in heavy pot and sooknext four ingredients until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in all spices and add water and lentils.
- Reduce heat and cook until lentils are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cilantro and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with a spoonful of yogurt.
This is a tasty soup! I modified it a bit. I added 1 tbs of garam masala, increased the pepper flakes to 1/2 tsp, and substituted a package of frozen chopped spinach. I sauteed the veggies and seasoning and then added everything to a crockpot which had the water (+2 morga veg bouillion cubes) and cooked it on high for about 6 hours. I used brown lentils, because the recipe didn't specify which kind of lentils and that's what I had on hand. I thought it needed more salt so I added about 1/2 tsp at the end.
This is my new favorite lentil soup! Spinach and curries are some of my favorite foods, so this was a shoo-in for my regular recipe rotation. The only way I modified it was by adding some garam masala in addition to the curry powder for a little extra spice. Yum! It's easy to make, and uses things I tend do have on hand.
Very tasty and easy to make soup! Added pre-ccoked chicken breast at the end. For beginners' sake, it should be clarified the heat should not be turned down below a simmer. I waited 1.5 hours for the lentils to soften before realizing my mistake!