Found this health recipe full of healthy ingredients and thought I'd post it.
Make and share this Curried Lentil and Spinach Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 9 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups dried lentils
- 1 (6 ounce) bag baby spinach leaves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- Heat oil in heavy pot and sooknext four ingredients until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in all spices and add water and lentils.
- Reduce heat and cook until lentils are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cilantro and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with a spoonful of yogurt.
This is a tasty soup! I modified it a bit. I added 1 tbs of garam masala, increased the pepper flakes to 1/2 tsp, and substituted a package of frozen chopped spinach. I sauteed the veggies and seasoning and then added everything to a crockpot which had the water (+2 morga veg bouillion cubes) and cooked it on high for about 6 hours. I used brown lentils, because the recipe didn't specify which kind of lentils and that's what I had on hand. I thought it needed more salt so I added about 1/2 tsp at the end.
This is my new favorite lentil soup! Spinach and curries are some of my favorite foods, so this was a shoo-in for my regular recipe rotation. The only way I modified it was by adding some garam masala in addition to the curry powder for a little extra spice. Yum! It's easy to make, and uses things I tend do have on hand.
Very tasty and easy to make soup! Added pre-ccoked chicken breast at the end. For beginners' sake, it should be clarified the heat should not be turned down below a simmer. I waited 1.5 hours for the lentils to soften before realizing my mistake!