Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This slightly exotic lentil salad can be made many ways, curried is just the one I like best. The cook time is for the lentils, they must be done to your preference. The vegetables are meant to be raw.
- 1⁄2 lb cooked lentils (dark green preferred)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄3 cup currants
- 1⁄3 cup diced red onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted and salted cashews
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- salt and pepper
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and soak the currants in the dressing.
- Put the lentils into a 3 quart pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Cook until tender; While the lentils cook,cut all the vegetables as indicated, set aside to add to the lentils.
- Drain the lentils.
- Place the drained lentils into large bowl.
- Add the vegetables and stir well.
- Add the dressing and currants to the other mixture and stir well.
- Add the cashews.
- Let stand briefly and eat warm, or chill to eat the next day.
The flavors in this are really good. I found, however, with a full pound of lentils, I needed to double the amounts of vegetables and dressing so they didn't get lost. I probably tripled the amount of currants because the little bursts of sweetness tasted so good! I advise watching your lentils closely while they cook - I think I overcooked mine and they were pretty mushy when I mixed everything together, which of course only affected the presentation and not the taste. Thanks!
It isn't really clear what the directions are for cooking the vegetables. I put the celery, and carrots (I added these to the recipe) in with the lentils and I sauted the onion with some minced garlic. The spice was nice and mild, but I felt like it could have used a little something else (maybe a little cinnamon?) I used raisins instead of currants. I just love the raisins in it. Thanks for sharing Karyl Lee.