Recipe by Karyl Lee
This slightly exotic lentil salad can be made many ways, curried is just the one I like best. The cook time is for the lentils, they must be done to your preference. The vegetables are meant to be raw.
Top Review by pattikay in L.A.
The flavors in this are really good. I found, however, with a full pound of lentils, I needed to double the amounts of vegetables and dressing so they didn't get lost. I probably tripled the amount of currants because the little bursts of sweetness tasted so good! I advise watching your lentils closely while they cook - I think I overcooked mine and they were pretty mushy when I mixed everything together, which of course only affected the presentation and not the taste. Thanks!
- 1⁄2 lb cooked lentils (dark green preferred)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄3 cup currants
- 1⁄3 cup diced red onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted and salted cashews
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and soak the currants in the dressing.
- Put the lentils into a 3 quart pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Cook until tender; While the lentils cook,cut all the vegetables as indicated, set aside to add to the lentils.
- Drain the lentils.
- Place the drained lentils into large bowl.
- Add the vegetables and stir well.
- Add the dressing and currants to the other mixture and stir well.
- Add the cashews.
- Let stand briefly and eat warm, or chill to eat the next day.