Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Serve with rice, chutney and chappatis. Do other EastIndian dishes if you wish Like a nice lentil dish. Make the day ahead and reheat. Freezes well too
- 2 lbs cubed trimmed leg of lamb (1" cubes)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- Combine all the spices, mix well.
- Toss with the onion and the lamb.
- Place all the ingredients except the yogurt into a large skillet and simmer covered for apprx 1 1/2 hours or until the lamb is tender, add a bit more water if necessary.
- Stir in the yogurt.
We had no kids at home, so Russell cooked this for dinner last night. It was a simple, yummy curry, the lamb was melt-in-your-mouth, and we'll make this again. The mustard powder seemed an unusual addition, but it worked well. Thanks Bergy!
Just plain delicious! I cut the lamb into kabobs, used nonfat in place of lowfat yougurt, combined it with the other ingredients (minus the water), threw in some additional fresh garlic (I'm a garlic freak), marinated overnight, then barbequed. Ohmygawd.
I was looking for a lamb dish that I often order at an Indian restaurant, and all I could remember was that the "stew" had yogurt in it. This was it almost exactly, I think the one I get has some tomato as well, but this was simply fabulous. Thank you. I didn't change a thing except for having to use ground ginger.