Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 mins
This recipe is from chef Jimmy Bradley (The Mermaid Inn; Red Cat; and The Harrison restaurants). It was printed in the June 2, 2003 issue of NY Magazine ("Italian Summer Pleasures from Antipasto to Gelato"). Prep/Cook time does not include the marinating time of 12 to 24 hours.
- 1 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 4 lbs loin lamb, trimmed of fat and sinew and cut into 32 two-ounce pieces (boneless leg of lamb can be substituted)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- bamboo skewer
- Combine the mustard, honey, curry powder, garlic, lemon juice and oil in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the lamb and toss to coat; cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours (a day or so is even better).
- Soak the bamboo skewers in cold water for about 1 hour.
- Light the coals or preheat the gas grill to medium-high.
- Thread the lamb onto the skewers, season with salt and pepper, and set on the grill for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- (The idea is to char the marinade and caramelize the honey without burning).
- Serve hot.