Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From 11/23/05 Post-Dispatch - adapted from America's Complete Diabetes Cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3⁄4 lb lamb, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup cubed peeled sweet potato
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- Heat oil in large nonstick Dutch oven. Dust lamb with flour. Add to hot oil; saute lamb for 2 minutes or just until seared all over. Remove lamb from the Dutch oven; set aside.
- Add garlic, onion, carrots, green pepper, and sweet potatoes to Dutch oven; cook, stirring often, for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Add mushrooms; cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add stock, wine, tomato paste, and curry powder. Return lamb to pan; cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- NOTE: Can be served over rice, linguine or couscous.
- NOTE: Adjust curry powder to taste.
I really enjoyed this! I have to admit, I was a little generous with the sweet potatoe and the curry, but only because one potatoe was more than 1 cup, and I wanted to use the whole potatoe, plus I thought it needed more curry after tasting. I think I only added 1/2 - 1 tsp. curry, but the sweet potatoe was about double. In any case, it was GREAT! I'm not a big lamb lover, and this dish really eliminated that gamey flavor that I dislike.
Excellent. I just used whatever veggies I had and came out great!